This week in AI & Machine Learning: AlphaFold protein structures, model-free reinforcement learning, Vision AI in Demanding Environments, AI helping firefighters, organ transportation, and more!
Top AI Highlights this Week :
Google’s DeepMind just released a massive AlphaFold database containing a prediction of nearly all possible protein structures for human cells and 20 other “key organisms” to help accelerate scientific research!
Today with @emblebi, we're launching the #AlphaFold Protein Structure Database, which offers the most complete and accurate picture of the human proteome, doubling humanity’s accumulated knowledge of high-accuracy human protein structures - for free: https://t.co/vtBGmTkKhy 1/ pic.twitter.com/XgBQTn2fuC— DeepMind (@DeepMind) July 22, 2021
DrQ-v2 is a model-free reinforcement learning algorithm for visual continuous control that uses data augmentation to learn directly from pixels.
“the first model-free agent that solves humanoid from pixels”
Check out the github (also contains more fun visuals)or read the research paper: Mastering Visual Continuous Control: Improved Data-Augmented Reinforcement Learning
Excited to release DrQ-v2! DrQ-v2 is more sample efficient, runs 3.5X faster than DrQ, and is the first model-free agent that solves humanoid from pixels.— Denis Yarats (@denisyarats) July 21, 2021
co-authors: @rob_fergus, @alelazaric, @LerrelPinto
tech report: https://t.co/EKCaPHpnJ0
We’re excited to announce our partnership with CP Technologies to bring autonomous and edge-deployed vision AI solutions for rugged hardware and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).
Breaking news! We are thrilled to announce our partnership with @CPTechUSA to provide autonomous #edge #visionAI solutions for high stakes, mission critical use cases for civil and commercial customers. Read the full press release: https://t.co/tdL3UhQLFN #drone #UAS #ai pic.twitter.com/NKi723KNzA— Plainsight (formerly Sixgill LLC) (@PlainsightAI) July 20, 2021
More AI & Machine Learning Stories:
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Alphabet launches new robotics software company Intrinsic
- FEATURE-Catching fire: AI is helping scarce firefighters better predict blazes
- A machine learning breakthrough uses satellite images to improve lives
- Automated tool labels 120K brain scans in under 30 minutes, holding ‘enormous’ potential for AI
- Is Artificial Intelligence The New Logistics Technology For Organ Transportation?
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Reintroducing the Self-Driving Car Engineer Nanodegree Program from Udacity and Waymo
- Multi-task Prediction of Organ Dysfunction in ICUs
- Intro to PyTorch: Training your first neural network using PyTorch
- Build fast, sparse on-device models with the new TF MOT Pruning API
- Everything You Need To Know About Torchvision’s SSDlite Implementation
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (July 29–10:00 am PDT)
- Beam Summit for Data and Stream Processing (August 4–8:00 am PDT)
- End-to-end machine learning on images (August 5 1:00 pm PDT)
- Data-centric AI: Real World Approaches (August 11–10:00 am PDT)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Evolving AI Systems Gracefully with Stefano Soatto
- Scaling AI at H&M Group with Errol Koolmeister
- Monetizing Machine Learning
- Practical AI: Towards stability and robustness
- Peter Puchwein explains KNAPP’s robotics-enhanced vision for the future of the logistics industry
- An interview with Askat Kuzdeuov, computer vision and deep learning researcher
- Dr. Lex Fridman: Machines, Creativity & Love
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Learn2Hop: Learned Optimization on Rough Landscapes
- YOLOX: Exceeding YOLO Series in 2021
- Audio2Head: Audio-driven One-shot Talking-head Generation with Natural Head Motion
- An Improved StarGAN for Emotional Voice Conversion: Enhancing Voice Quality and Data Augmentation
🐘 About the Author & Plainsight:
- Sage Elliott is a Developer Evangelist at Plainsight & passionate about making AI more approachable. Connect with Sage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Plainsight provides custom enterprise AI solutions, end-to-end machine learning lifecycle management, and fast data annotation for computer vision. Join the conversation on Slack.
See you next week!