This week in AI & Machine Learning: Transforming agriculture, AI voice actors, robots walking, TensorFlow 2.6.0, 3D object detection, and more!
Sixgill is now Plainsight: You will be noticing some changes on our site & blog! Read more about our rebranding here.
We still have a couple events coming up in July: Join me at these events if you’re interested in building computer vision models & datasets!
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets — July 29th at 10:00am PDT
- Data Annotation for Computer Vision & AI-Powered Labeling LIVE Demos — July 13th at 5:00pm PDT
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- AI now enables robots to adapt rapidly to changing real world conditions ← Facebook AI and other researches show off Rapid Motor Adaptation (RMA). A new way for legged robots to learn how to navigate complex environments.
- AI voice actors sound more human than ever — and they’re ready to hire
- Artificial intelligence ‘transformative’ for the future of ag ← Last week we posted about robots and computer vision for picking strawberries, but the whole agricultural space in general will likely be changed by AI.
- Artificial Intelligence used on Army operation for the first time
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- TensorFlow 2.6.0 Release ← Some breaking changes, improvements and new features to check out.
- Auto training and fast deployment for state-of-the-art NLP models
- Some Experiments using GitHub Copilot with Python ← This contains some fun examples of how well copilot works for various tasks.
- How to Train a BERT Model From Scratch
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Data Annotation for Computer Vision & AI-Powered Labeling LIVE Demo (July 13–5:00 pm PDT) “Learn computer vision data annotation techniques for object detection, instance segmentation, classification, and feature point clustering.”
- MLCon: AI and ML Developers Conference (July 14–8:00 am PDT)
- Practical Crowdsourcing for ML at Scale (July 20–10:00 am PDT) “AI stands on three pillars: algorithms, hardware and training data. While the first two have already become commodities on the market, the latter — reliable labelled data — is still a bottleneck in the industry.”
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (July 29–10:00 am PDT): ← I’ll be teaching this, so come say hi and ask questions!
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Anca Dragan on why Asimov’s three laws of robotics need updating
- The Future of Human-Machine Interaction with Dan Bohus and Siddhartha Sen
- Vector Quantization for NN Compression with Julieta Martinez
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- RMA: Rapid Motor Adaptation for Legged Robots
- Multi-Modality Task Cascade for 3D Object Detection
- Long-Short Transformer: Efficient Transformers for Language and Vision
- What Makes for Hierarchical Vision Transformer?
- 3D Neural Scene Representations for Visuomotor Control
🤝 Connect with AI practitioners of all levels
- Stay connected with artificial intelligence and machine learning practitioners around the world! Slack Group | LinkedIn Group | Meetup Group