This week in AI & Machine Learning: AI painting landscapes, DeepMind tackles disease, AI drug discovery, new detectron2 benchmarks, the image similarity challenge, and more!
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Nvidia’s Canvas AI painting tool instantly turns blobs into realistic landscapes ← You can now turn your doodles into “realistic” landscapes.
- DeepMind uses AI to tackle neglected deadly diseases
- Robot dog maker Boston Dynamics has a new owner ← It’s interesting how many times the company has changed ownership. I hope that with Hyundai and their recent warehouse robot launch, Boston Dynamics can really find their footing.
- Advancing AI to make shopping easier for everyone
- AI Drug Discovery Platform Insilico Medicine Announces 255 Million in funding
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Advancing computer vision research with new Detectron2 Mask R-CNN baselines ← Working with Detectron2 is a fun way to get started building models. It’s great to see Facebook continue working on the project!
- Data pipelines with tf.data and TensorFlow
- Meet TensorFlow community leads around the world
- Achieving Precision in Quantum Material Simulations
- The Image Similarity Challenge and data set for detecting image manipulation “We’ve built and are now sharing the largest available data set designed to help AI researchers develop new systems that can identify image manipulation at scale.”
- Improving Genomic Discovery with Machine Learning
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Democratize Data and Scale Augmented Analytics with Integrated AI (June 29–11:00am PDT)
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (June 30–5:30 pm PDT): ← I’ll be teaching this, so come say hi and ask questions!
- Using ML for Personalization and Optimization at Spotify (July 2–1:00pm PDT)
- Data Annotation for Computer Vision & AI-Powered Labeling LIVE Demo (July 8–3:00 pm PDT) “Learn computer vision data annotation techniques for object detection, instance segmentation, classification, and feature point clustering.”
- MLCon: AI and ML Developers Conference (July 14–8:00 am PDT)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Advancing NLP with Project Debater w/ Noam Slonim
- Bringing AI Up to Speed with Autonomous Racing w/ Madhur Behl
- Vector databases for machine learning
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Towards Long-Form Video Understanding
- Regularization is all you Need: Simple Neural Nets can Excel on Tabular Data
- A Systematic Collection of Medical Image Datasets for Deep Learning
- World-GAN: a Generative Model for Minecraft Worlds
- Video Swin Transformer
- How to train your ViT? Data, Augmentation, and Regularization in Vision Transformers