This week in AI & Machine Learning: The UN using AI for peace, using machine learning to rescue clinical trials, robots for hospitals, PyTorchVideo framework, training transformers at scale, and more!
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- The United Nations is turning to artificial intelligence in search for peace in war zones ← Learn how the UN is using natural language processing to help keep peace!
- Penn State launches new artificial intelligence center for engineered systems
- Artificial Intelligence Key to Maintaining Military, Economic Advantages, Leaders Say ← Interesting to see official government organizations continue to invest in AI.
- Using Machine Learning to Rescue Clinical Trials in Trouble During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Retail robots coming to these grocery stores ← Robotics and machine learning continue to expand into physical retail spaces.
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- PyTorchVideo a new framework by Facebook “PyTorchVideo is a deep learning library with a focus on video understanding work. PytorchVideo provides reusable, modular and efficient components needed to accelerate the video understanding research.”
- How to Choose a CI Framework for Deep Learning
- Training Transformers at Scale With PyTorch Lightning “Introducing Lightning Transformers, a new library that seamlessly integrates PyTorch Lightning, HuggingFace Transformers and Hydra, to scale up deep learning research across multiple modalities.”
- Reconstructing thousands of particles in one go at the CERN LHC with TensorFlow
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Risto Miikkulainen: Neuroevolution and Evolutionary Computation
- Creating Robust Language Representations with Jamie Macbeth
- Reinforcement Learning for Industrial AI with Pieter Abbeel
- Andrea Thomaz on how Moxi the robot helped hospital nurses through Covid ← very neat to learn more about this use case for robotics in healthcare!
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- MT-Opt: Continuous Multi-Task Robotic Reinforcement Learning at Scale
- Fusing the Old with the New: Learning Relative Camera Pose with Geometry-Guided Uncertainty
- Measuring what Really Matters: Optimizing Neural Networks for TinyML
- Interpreting intermediate convolutional layers of CNNs trained on raw speech
- Temporal Modulation Network for Controllable Space-Time Video Super-Resolution
- Causal-TGAN: Generating Tabular Data Using Causal Generative Adversarial Networks