This week in AI & Machine Learning: Drones that land like a bird, robots doing brain surgery, 7-Eleven autonomous delivery, building AI-powered apps faster with PyTorch Live, and more!
I want to give a shout out to The Next Byte podcast providing a great overview of computer vision applications and featuring Plainsight’s article on detecting unwanted & hazardous objects with vision AI.
My Top AI Highlight:
Grasping Robotic Drone Can Land on a Branch Like a Bird
You may have seen a drone get stuck in a tree, but have you ever seen a drone gracefully land in one? Well, now you can!
Researchers from Stanford University have developed the “stereotyped nature-inspired aerial grasper” (SNAG) grasping mechanism that can allow drones to land and take off in complex environments just like birds.
Watch the video below and read more here.
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Tesla releases new footage of auto labeling tool for its self-driving effort
- DeepMind claims AI has aided new discoveries and insights in mathematics
- The Quest to Make an AI that Can Play Competitive Pokemon
- Artificial intelligence that understands object relationships
- Robots doing brain surgery: CEO describes the latest in medical AI
- Better Machine Learning Demands Better Data Labeling
- Twitch will use machine learning to detect people evading bans
- AWS introduces new Trn1 chips to speed up training of machine learning models
- 7-Eleven to pilot delivery via robotics-powered vehicles
- Amazon launches AWS RoboRunner to support robotics apps
- Robotics-Powered Stellar Pizza Plans LA Restaurant
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Build your AI-powered mobile apps in minutes with PyTorch Live
- NeuralProphet: The neural evolution of Meta’s Prophet
- Continuous Adaptation for Machine Learning System to Data Changes
- RLDS: An Ecosystem to Generate, Share, and Use Datasets in Reinforcement Learning
- Composing Decision Forest and Neural Network models
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Can AI See Better Than Humans?
- Real or Not Real? Attorney Steven Frank Uses Deep Learning to Authenticate Art
- Multi-modal Deep Learning for Complex Document Understanding with Doug Burdick
- Predictive Maintenance Using Deep Learning and Reliability Engineering with Shayan Mortazavi
- AI-generated code with OpenAI Codex
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Masked-attention Mask Transformer for Universal Image Segmentation
- HyperStyle: StyleGAN Inversion with HyperNetworks for Real Image Editing
- On the Integration of Self-Attention and Convolution
- End-to-End Referring Video Object Segmentation with Multimodal Transformers
- NeRF in the Dark: High Dynamic Range View Synthesis from Noisy Raw Images
- Object-Aware Cropping for Self-Supervised Learning