This week in AI & Machine Learning: Protecting coral reefs with computer vision, global AI ethics, Detectron Q&A, human-robot collaboration, zero-shot multitask learning, and more!
My Top AI Highlight:
TensorFlow’s Kaggle Challenge to Help Protect Coral Reefs
Google’s TensorFlow is sponsoring a Kaggle challenge for developers to create a better object detection computer vision model to help protect coral reefs from harmful crown-of-thorns starfish!
The challenge is a great example of how computer vision can be used to have a positive impact on the planet and offers a couple of ways to win portions of the $150k prize money.
You can read more about the challenge here or join the competition on Kaggle.
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- 193 countries adopt first-ever global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Robotics startup FJDynamics raises $70M to make manual labor easier
- Building artificial intelligence: staffing is the most challenging part
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Detectron Q&A: The origins, evolution, and future of our pioneering computer vision library
- An Introduction to Keras Preprocessing Layers
- Predicting Text Selections with Federated Learning
- Computer Graphics and Deep Learning with NeRF using TensorFlow and Keras: Part 3
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Models for Human-Robot Collaboration with Julie Shah
- Building a Deep Tech Startup in NLP with Nasrin Mostafazadeh
- Hurdling Over Data Career Obstacles
- Zero-shot multitask learning
- NLP and Philosophy | Kourosh Alizadah
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Florence: A New Foundation Model for Computer Vision
- Benchmarking Detection Transfer Learning with Vision Transformers
- Self-slimmed Vision Transformer
- Extracting Triangular 3D Models, Materials, and Lighting From Images
- Edge Artificial Intelligence for 6G: Vision, Enabling Technologies, and Applications
- MetaFormer is Actually What You Need for Vision