This week in AI & Machine Learning: Protecting coral reefs with computer vision, global AI ethics, Detectron Q&A, human-robot collaboration, zero-shot multitask learning, and more!
My last workshop of the year is tomorrow! You can join Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets for FREE on November 30th at 5:30 pm PST. The recording will be uploaded to our youtube channel.
My Top AI Highlight:
TensorFlow’s Kaggle Challenge to Help Protect Coral Reefs
Google’s TensorFlow is sponsoring a Kaggle challenge for developers to create a better object detection computer vision model to help protect coral reefs from harmful crown-of-thorns starfish!
The challenge is a great example of how computer vision can be used to have a positive impact on the planet and offers a couple of ways to win portions of the $150k prize money.
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- 193 countries adopt first-ever global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Robotics startup FJDynamics raises $70M to make manual labor easier
- Building artificial intelligence: staffing is the most challenging part
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Detectron Q&A: The origins, evolution, and future of our pioneering computer vision library
- An Introduction to Keras Preprocessing Layers
- Predicting Text Selections with Federated Learning
- Computer Graphics and Deep Learning with NeRF using TensorFlow and Keras: Part 3
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (Nov 30–5:30 pm PST)
- Practical Weak Supervision with Snorkel and Azure (Dec 2–10:00 am PST)
- DevFest 2021 — AI/ML Edition (Dec 8–9:00 am PST)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Models for Human-Robot Collaboration with Julie Shah
- Building a Deep Tech Startup in NLP with Nasrin Mostafazadeh
- Hurdling Over Data Career Obstacles
- Zero-shot multitask learning
- NLP and Philosophy | Kourosh Alizadah
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Florence: A New Foundation Model for Computer Vision
- Benchmarking Detection Transfer Learning with Vision Transformers
- Self-slimmed Vision Transformer
- Extracting Triangular 3D Models, Materials, and Lighting From Images
- Edge Artificial Intelligence for 6G: Vision, Enabling Technologies, and Applications
- MetaFormer is Actually What You Need for Vision
🐘 About the Author & Plainsight:
- Sage Elliott is a Developer Evangelist at Plainsight & passionate about making AI more approachable. Connect with Sage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Plainsight’s vision AI platform streamlines the end-to-end machine learning process. From data annotation through deployment, customers quickly create and successfully operationalize their own vision AI applications to solve highly diverse business challenges. Join the conversation on Slack.