This week in AI & Machine Learning: Zoox is driving in Seattle, saving seaweed, DeepMind robotics, drug discovery, GPT-3 in Azure, photonic computing for AI, and more!
I just announced an upcoming workshop this month! You can join Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets on November 30th at 5:30 pm PDT.
My Top AI Highlight:
Zoox Self-driving Cars are Coming to Seattle
Zoox is starting to test its level 3 autonomous vehicles in Seattle. Public street testing already occurs in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Foster City.
Seattle provides new challenges for self-driving hardware and A.I. systems such as rainy weather, and new road layouts. Seattle is also home to Amazon, who acquired Zoox in 2020.
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- AI solutions show promise in wildlife and site protection
- Avoiding shortcut solutions in artificial intelligence
- Saving seaweed with machine learning
- DeepMind takes next step in robotics research
- Google-parent Alphabet has set up a new lab that will use A.I. to try to discover new drugs
- Researchers create AI system that could make robots better at handling objects
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- New Azure OpenAI Service combines access to powerful GPT-3 language models with Azure’s enterprise capabilities
- Teaching robots to perceive, understand, and interact through touch
- Self Driving Cars using Udacity Car Simulator — Made with TensorFlow.js
- Scikit-learn Version 1.0.2 Release
- Building a board game app with TensorFlow: a new TensorFlow Lite reference app
- Self-Supervised Reversibility-Aware Reinforcement Learning
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Workshop: Build Trustworthy AI System (Nov 8–10:00am PDT)
- Semantic Search and Neural Information Retrieval (Nov 9–12:00 pm PDT)
- TensorFlow MLCommunity Day (Nov 9–9:00 am PT)
- OpenCV Spatial AI Contest (open until November 15th, 2021)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Metaspectral’s Migel Tissera on AI-Based Data Management
- Building Blocks of Machine Learning at LEGO with Francesc Joan Riera
- Exploring the FastAI Tooling Ecosystem with Hamel Husain
- A.I. for Good
- Photonic computing for AI acceleration
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Bootstrap Your Object Detector via Mixed Training
- Imagine Networks
- Instance-Conditioned GAN
- Meta-Learning to Improve Pre-Training
- Relational Self-Attention: What’s Missing in Attention for Video Understanding
🐘 About the Author & Plainsight:
- Sage Elliott is a Developer Evangelist at Plainsight & passionate about making AI more approachable. Connect with Sage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Plainsight’s vision AI platform streamlines the end-to-end machine learning process. From data annotation through deployment, customers quickly create and successfully operationalize their own vision AI applications to solve highly diverse business challenges. Join the conversation on Slack.