This week in AI & Machine Learning: DeepMind acquires MuJoCo (and makes it free), more robots in restaurants, using computer vision to prevent wildfires, PyTorch1.10 release, and more!
📌 My Top AI Highlight:
DeepMind Acquires MuJoCo & Makes it Free
Google DeepMind has acquired the popular MuJoCo physics simulator. Deepmind has immediately made MuJoCo free for everyone and put forward plans to make the software open source.
MuJoCo being free lowers the barrier to AI research with simulators. When it fully becomes open source I expect we’ll quickly see some great new features and adoption.
Read more about the acquisition and future plans on the official DeepMind blog.
We’ve acquired the MuJoCo physics simulator (https://t.co/knwXLZMr4L) and are making it free for all, to support research everywhere. MuJoCo is a fast, powerful, easy-to-use, and soon to be open-source simulation tool, designed for robotics research: https://t.co/Of3Q1W2GIR pic.twitter.com/M9mTaKDqtn— DeepMind (@DeepMind) October 18, 2021
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Restaurants prep for long-term labor crunch by turning to robots to man the fryer, shuttle food to tables
- Using Computer Vision & AI to Prevent wildfires
- Inside the Google Pixel 6 cameras’ bigger AI brains and upgraded hardware
- AI-driven strategies are becoming mainstream, survey finds
- What MuJoCo’s acquisition means for DeepMind’s AI & robotics research
- How Robots and A.I. Are About To Change This $11 Trillion Industry Forever
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- PyTorch 1.10 Release, including CUDA Graphs APIs, Frontend and Compiler Improvements
- Practical Differentially Private Clustering
- Predicting Spreadsheet Formulas from Semi-structured Contexts
- Lights! Camera! Insight! Four Scenes From the Marriage of Computer Vision and Edge Computing
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Researchers Chris Downum and Leszek Pawlowicz Use Deep Learning to Accelerate Archaeology
- Attacking Malware with Adversarial Machine Learning, w/ Edward Raff
- Learning to Ponder: Memory in Deep Neural Networks with Andrea Banino
- AI in Africa — Makerere AI Lab