This week in AI & Machine Learning: The last roundup of the year with 2021 highlights, Combating patient loneliness with AI, AI Dungeon’s creators are launching a new platform, massive-scale machine vision and more!
This will be the last AI roundup of 2021. The Plainsight team will be taking some time off for the holidays, but we’ll return to our weekly posting in the first week of the new year with a lot more AI content and some exciting product updates!
Since it’s a short week and a slower time for industry news I’ve included some of my top highlights from the last year.
Some of My Top 2021 AI Highlights:
Our post on how vision AI can be used to prevent damage and contamination by detecting unwanted material during processing and manufacturing got some great press. Including a large segment on The Next Byte Podcast!
Teaching Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets
In 2021 I personally had the pleasure of teaching well over a thousand attendees at live events about computer vision and data annotation. I’m excited to do many more events in the new year! You can fine upcoming events at plainsight.ai/events
Our post on using vision AI for accurate livestock monitoring at scale outlines the steps used for tracking complex objects for counting or monitoring, such as the sheep pictured above. You can also check out more vision AI agriculture use cases here!
How Plainsight created a no-code ML platform on Google Cloud
Plainsight’s CEO and Co-Founder, Carlos Anchia, sat down with Google Cloud Developer Advocate, Priyanka Vergadia to discuss the architecture of Plainsight’s vision AI Platform on Google Cloud Marketplace. Plainsight joined Google Cloud Marketplace in July 2021 with a no-code vision AI platform for enterprise cloud users.
Early in the year we had a lot of fun using Plainsight’s computer vision platform to take a guess at how many Major Melon bottles were in the Mountain Dew Super Bowl challenge!
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- Combating patient loneliness through conversational AI
- McDonald’s sells AI tech firm Dynamic Yield to Mastercard
- How to keep the ‘human’ in human resources with AI-based tools
- AI Dungeon’s creators are launching an experimental AI-powered game platform
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- Introducing TorchVision’s New Multi-Weight Support API
- Choose an object detection model architecture for Raspberry Pi
- Torch Hub Series #1: Introduction to Torch Hub
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (Jan 12–5:30 pm PST)
- Architectures of DataOps (Jan 18–5:00 pm PST)
- Maximizing Model Accuracy With Data-centric AI Practices (feb 8–5:00pm)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews
- Deep Learning, Transformers, and the Consequences of Scale with Oriol Vinyals
- Fusion Energy, Cancer Proteomics, and Massive-Scale Machine Vision
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- GOAL: Generating 4D Whole-Body Motion for Hand-Object Grasping
- GLIDE: Towards Photorealistic Image Generation and Editing with Text-Guided Diffusion Models
- Mega-NeRF: Scalable Construction of Large-Scale NeRFs for Virtual Fly-Throughs
🐘 About the Author & Plainsight:
- Sage Elliott is a Developer Evangelist at Plainsight & passionate about making AI more approachable. Connect with Sage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Plainsight’s vision AI platform streamlines the end-to-end machine learning process. From data annotation through deployment, customers quickly create and successfully operationalize their own vision AI applications to solve highly diverse business challenges. Join the conversation on Slack.