This week in AI & Machine Learning: Realistic humanoid robotics, 7-Eleven using computer vision, machines that see the world more like humans, e-bike collision warning, and more!
My Top AI Highlight:
Realistic Humanoid Robots
You may have seen the recent video from Engineered Arts showcasing a new, very expressive humanoid robot design named Ameca. The design may have the best facial expression capabilities ever created on a robotic face.
The video below explores the potential for combining the current state of the art of robotics, animation, and conversational artificial intelligence to create the most realistic humanoid robot that we could today.
The video has some amazing demos of GPT-3 conversation and robotics from Disney you may not have seen before!
The Most Realistic Humanoid Robot Yet (Ameca) by Cold Fusion
🤖 Artificial Intelligence News:
- DeepMind AI tackles one of chemistry’s most valuable techniques
- AI is thriving on and driving the edge
- AI Summit New York: 7-Eleven on Computer Vision
- Machines that see the world more like humans do
- DeepMind tests the limits of large AI language systems with 280-billion-parameter model
- Streetlogic launches computer vision-based e-bike collision warning system
- Tiny machine learning design alleviates a bottleneck in memory usage on internet-of-things devices
🛠️ Developer Tools & Education:
- More Efficient In-Context Learning with GLaM
- General and Scalable Parallelization for Neural Networks
- Improving Vision Transformer Efficiency and Accuracy by Learning to Tokenize
- Transformers v4.13.0 is out
📅 Upcoming Online AI & Data Science Events:
- Optimizing Storage Efficiency for Meta Video Processing (Dec 13–12:00 pm PST)
- Maximizing GPU Utilization and Model Accuracy With Data-centric AI Practices (Dec 14–10:00 am PST)
- Practical MLOps: Operationalizing ML Models in Production (Dec 16–10:00 am)
- Intro to Computer Vision: Building Object Detection Models and Datasets (Jan 12–5:30 pm PST)
🎤 Interesting Podcasts & Interviews:
- Creating a Data-Driven Culture at ADP with Jack Berkowitz
- re:Invent Roundup 2021 with Bratin Saha
- A.I. Robotics at Home
- Friendly federated learning
📄 Notable Research Papers:
- Coupling Vision and Proprioception for Navigation of Legged Robots
- PixMix: Dreamlike Pictures Comprehensively Improve Safety Measures
- Class-agnostic Reconstruction of Dynamic Objects from Videos
- Simulation Intelligence: Towards a New Generation of Scientific Methods
- Player of Games
🐘 About the Author & Plainsight:
- Sage Elliott is a Developer Evangelist at Plainsight & passionate about making AI more approachable. Connect with Sage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Plainsight’s vision AI platform streamlines the end-to-end machine learning process. From data annotation through deployment, customers quickly create and successfully operationalize their own vision AI applications to solve highly diverse business challenges. Join the conversation on Slack.